Sunday 12 August 2012

Food - Nazi Lemak in Jurong Estate

 



My stomach usually starts to groan for food just after mid-night and if I happen to be in Jurong area at that time, I head straight to my favorite Boon Lay Power Nasi Lemak at #01-106 Boon Lay Place Food Centre.

Most Nasi Lemak lovers know this stall that opens in the wee hours. Anyway, most food stalls are closed after mid-night in Jurong Estate.

Parking is convenient and there are plenty of seats around at the food centre. But there seems to be a perpetual queue of about 10 people lining up for the Nasi Lemak from the time they start selling at 5pm till 4am. And the queue never seem to wane and sometime I had to share a table with strangers.

What's so good about the Nasi Lemak at this stall?. Like many popular Nasi Lemak stalls elsewhere that sell in the daytime time, the key to their popularity is freshness. Because business is good and turnover is fast, the rice, chicken wings, fish and eggs are often served fresh and steaming hot.

I loved the sambal chili and when it's mixed with the warm coconut flavoured Thai rice, I could eat the whole plate without anything else! Nevertheless. I would still order my other favorite items like chicken wings, ikan bilis and fried eggs. It usually cost me below $4 with hot tea from a stall next to it.

The owner must have owned a few bungalows as he had been in this business for more than 20 years and now has branches in Tampines and Novena.

Many NTU students, policemen, soldiers and Jurong Industrial Estate workers patronize this stall in the wee hours. But if you lives in the East, then it's not worth the trouble to come all the way here because there are many equally good Nasi Lemak stalls there, like Ponggol Nasi Lemak in Upper Seranggon Road, Changi Village and Adam Road stalls.

I had not been to this stall for a while. I heard the stall had changed hand and the foods are not that good like before and the crowd had dwindled. I must visit it soon to get the facts right.

  P/S: Coming up - Hainanese Curry Rice After Mid-Night.

4 comments:

Gintai_昇泰 said...

You are right about Changi Village hawker centre also got a famous nasi lemak stall. Always long queue.

Diary of a Singaorean Cabby said...

Hi, Gintai,

How are you?. thanks for your comment.

There are a few good one in Changi Village. The best is "International"
at the first stall went you enter the food centre. I used to have my lunch of nasi lemak at this stall when I was working at Loyang Offshore Supply Base. Bye

darren1627 said...

Boon lay nasi lemak will open another stall at peace centre pls come n support cheers

Anonymous said...

Why "Nazi"?