Saturday 25 March 2023

A Short Trip to Raub, Pahang (Malaysia)

 

A collection of memories


Recently, I had the pleasure of accompanying a group of five elderly friends on a trip to visit their "Temple Master" in Bentong/Raub, located in Pahang, Malaysia. The seven-seater SUV we traveled in provided us a comfortable journey of seven hours, with breathtaking views of mountainous ranges, lush jungles, and smooth roads along the KL-Kuantan highway.
Upon arriving at the small village where the temple was located, I was struck by the nostalgic feeling it evoked, reminding me of my own childhood village in Bukit Panjang during the 1960s.
Although it was the end of the durian season, we were fortunate enough to indulge in Raub's famous "Mao Shan Wang" durian, which the Temple Master had worked hard to procure. The delectable fruit was a true delight in rich, intense and bitter-sweet taste that arouse all our senses.
Our short trip of 1N/2D was an enjoyable one, filled with warm memories and new experiences. The trip not only provided us with an opportunity to spend time with each other and explore the countryside, but it also allowed us to reconnect with our roots and appreciate the simple pleasures of life. Overall, it was a refreshing break from a dull retirement life and a reminder that sometimes, it's the small things that bring us the most joy.






2 comments:

William said...

Hi James, glad to hear you had an enjoyable trip to Raub. I too had recently made a trip to Ipoh and Kuala Lumpur, to savor the delicious makan2 and jalan2 and to catch up with some old friends. Take care and continue to enjoy these trips, when the opportunities come along!

Diary of a Singaorean Cabby said...

Hi William,
Great to hear from you! I'm thrilled that you're still following my blog and getting the chance to travel and enjoy Malaysian cuisine. I'm right there with you! In fact, I recently won a free Cathay Pacific ticket to Hong Kong, and I'm planning to take the bullet train from there to Shanghai and Guangzhou. The only thing that concerns me is traveling alone in a foreign country, particularly at my age.